M102 - Participating in the course
Participation is what makes completing a course like this fun! In this unit we explain the four main ways in which you can do this during the course.
What you should do
- Read the learning objectives carefully.
- Watch the video below and make your own notes.
- Review the Unit Notes.
- Refer back to the learning objectives to ensure you have satisfied each one.
What you should know
At the end of this unit you should understand:
- How to complete 'the learning cycle'.
- How to complete the Unit Assignments.
- How to ask your tutor or fellow classmates a question.
- How to join the Throughput Academy's members only LinkedIn Group.
M102 - Participating in the course
1. Completing 'the learning cycle'
When participating in a course like this, it is easy to sit back, watch each video in turn - a Netflix style binge! - and leave it at that. However, in order to really maximise the return on the time you are personally investing in the course, we strongly recommend that you take a different approach.
We all have different learning preferences and we like to learn in different ways. However, experts in the field of adult education strongly suggest that we complete a 'whole learning cycle' to maximise the benefit of the time we invest in our learning.
This course tries to help you do this by encouraging you to not only learn from watching the course content but also engage in activities that encourage you to 'do things' and reflect on your actions.
Therefore, we recommend you follow this process when completing each unit:
- Read the unit 'Introduction' to orientate yourself.
- Read the 'What you should do' process and follow it closely.
- Physically print any handouts that accompany the unit.
- Watch the course video (i.e. the content) through once COMPLETELY.
- RE-WATCH the video COMPLETELY for a SECOND TIME, this time PAUSING the video to make notes on your HANDOUTS where helpful.
- Read the 'Unit Notes' (if any) carefully.
- Complete the 'Assignment' (if any). SUBMIT your answers and do not be afraid to ask your tutor a question - I'm here to help you make the most of the programme.
If you'd like to read more about the adult learning models referenced above click:
2. Where to find the handouts
You will find the handouts in each of the units that introduce a module. These units are all numbered Mx01 where x = a number from 1 to 5. Simply click the link and your browser should download a pdf file containing the handouts for the various units in that module.
You can download the handouts for M101 and M102 by clicking the links below:
In some units you will find assignments. These are all OPTIONAL but RECOMMENDED. Broadly, the assignments have two objectives:
- To ensure you fully understand the SDBR approach.
- To help you understand how your own manufacturing environments works and how SDBR may be implemented.
Each assignment includes clear instructions for you to follow and you are encouraged to submit your answers in several assignments. Feedback may or may not be provided depending on the assignment. You are welcome to ask your tutor questions at any point in time.
4. Asking a question
If you have a question, FIRST check the 'Frequently Asked Questions' Unit (this will normally be at the end of the Module) for an answer to your question.
If you cannot find an answer to your question, feel free to email Alex at email@example.com
5. Joining the Throughput Academy members only LinkedIn Group.
Another great way to maximise your enjoyment and benefit from attending this course is to 'meet' other participants online. We have created a STRICTLY members only LinkedIn Group for exactly this purpose and we hope to build the group into a valuable resource where you can ask questions and discuss relevant issues of interest with other group members.
All Throughput Academy participants are entitled to join the group.
You apply to join by clicking here.